Vesna Klačar-Nedimović’s artwork “Fragments II Brisbane: Serbian Monastery” captures a vignette of the historical Congregational Church, now Free Serbian Orthodox Church St. Nicholas Monastery, Vulture Street, South Brisbane.
The South Brisbane Congregational Church was designed by T.B.F. Gargett of Brisbane and opened in 1933. The building was acquired by the Serbian Orthodox congregation in 1975.
This digital print depicts the church superimposed with a historical map of Brisbane (1863), evoking layers of history with Klačar-Nedimović’s own documented impression of place.
Credit: Ham’s map of the city of Brisbane, Queensland, 1863, John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland